Dry Mouth Treatment Near You in Billerica, MA 01821
What is Dry Mouth Condition?
Dry mouth is an uncomfortable condition that occurs when the glands in the mouth that produce saliva are not functioning as they normally would. This leaves many people with uncomfortable dryness, but it also puts them at risk for tooth decay and other dental conditions. Dr. Kunio Chan is a skilled Billerica, MA, dentist near you that can diagnose issues with the mouth and treat them accordingly.
What Causes Dry Mouth?
Dry mouth can be caused by a number of reasons, including things like:
- Certain cancer treatments
- Lack of vitamins and nutrients
- Systemic diseases
How to Help Dry Mouth?
Dry mouth can be treated at our local dental clinic near you to prevent it from reoccurring in the future. However, there are some ways to manage it while you wait for a visit with our dentist in Billerica, MA.
- Drink More Water: Dry mouth can be the cause of dehydration, so be sure to stay hydrated by drinking water throughout the day.
- Suck on Sugar-free Candy: Little mints and candies can help manage dryness throughout the day by stimulating the salivary glands.
- Avoid Caffeine: Caffeine dries the inside of your mouth, which doesn’t help when your issue is having a dry mouth.
- Practice Breathing Through the Nose: This will keep air from flowing back and forth from your mouth, increasing dryness. If you have issues that do not allow you to breathe through the nose, such as allergies, those conditions should be treated.
- Get a Humidifier For the Home. Dry air can be another cause of issues with dry mouth. If you spend a lot of time indoors, dry adding some moisture to the room with a humidifier. It can resolve sleep issues as well.
- Use a Mouthwash that Doesn’t Have Alcohol: Alcohol inside mouthwash has an effect on the moisture levels in your mouth and can dry it. Use an alcohol-free mouthwash when possible.
Get Dry Mouth Treatment Near You
These at-home remedies do not address the underlying cause of dry mouth, which can be any number of things that affect moisture in your mouth. Schedule an appointment with Dr. Chan to discover the cause of your oral issue.