What is the Step-by-Step Process to Get Root Canal Treatment?
What is Root Canal Treatment?
Root canal treatment is an endodontic dental procedure used to treat infected or inflamed pulp, the soft tissue inside a tooth containing nerves and blood vessels. To prevent further infection, the damaged pulp is removed, the inside of the tooth is cleaned and shaped, and the tooth is filled and sealed. The ultimate goal of root canal therapy is to save the damaged tooth and avoid extraction.
Why Do You Need a Root Canal Treatment?
When the pulp inside a tooth becomes infected or inflamed, often due to tooth decay, a crack or chip in the tooth, or injury to the tooth, root canal treatment is required. When the pulp is damaged, it loses its ability to perform functions such as supplying nutrients to the tooth and protecting it from infection. This can result in several symptoms, including:
- A toothache or pain when chewing or applying pressure to the tooth is the most common symptom of a damaged or infected pulp.
- Sensitivity: The tooth may develop sensitivity to hot or cold temperatures and sweets.
- Swelling: The tooth or gums may swell.
- Tenderness: The tooth may be sensitive when touched.
If left untreated, a damaged or infected pulp can lead to several more serious dental issues, including an abscess (a pocket of pus near the tooth), infection spreading to other parts of the mouth, and, eventually, tooth loss.
What is the Procedure for Getting Root Canal Treatment?
Here’s an overview of the root canal treatment including what to expect before, during, and after the procedure:
> Before the Procedure
- Consultation and Diagnosis: During a consultation, our dentist in Billerica, MA will examine the affected tooth, take X-rays, and determine whether a root canal is required.
- Preparation: The dentist will thoroughly explain the procedure and answer any questions you may have. They may also instruct you on preparing for the procedure, such as avoiding certain foods or medications before the procedure.
> During the Procedure
- Anesthesia: Before beginning the procedure, your dentist will numb the area around the tooth with anesthesia to ensure your comfort.
- Access to the Root Canal: To access the root canal, the dentist will use a drill or laser to create a small opening in the top of the tooth.
- Cleaning the Root Canal: The dentist will use specialized instruments to remove damaged or infected tissue from the root canal. Our Billerica dentist will then shape the root canal to prepare it for filling.
- Filling the Root Canal: To prevent re-infection, the dentist will fill the root canal with a special material such as gutta-percha.
- Sealing the Tooth: The dentist will then fill the opening with a temporary filling to protect the tooth and prevent bacteria from entering.
> Following the Procedure
- Follow-up Appointment: Our root canal endodontist near Pinehurst will schedule a follow-up appointment to check on the tooth’s healing and, if necessary, to place a permanent filling or crown.
- Recovery: You may experience some sensitivity or discomfort following the procedure, but this should pass quickly. You may also be given instructions on caring for the treated tooth, such as avoiding certain foods or carefully brushing and flossing.
What are the Benefits of Getting Root Canal Treatment?
Root canal therapy is a common and effective way to save a damaged or infected tooth and avoid extraction. Some of the advantages of getting root canal therapy include the following:
- Root canal therapy alleviates the pain and discomfort caused by a damaged or infected pulp.
- Root canal treatment is intended to save the damaged tooth while preserving its natural appearance and function.
- Avoiding tooth extraction: A damaged or infected tooth may need to be extracted if it is not treated. Root canal therapy can help to avoid an extraction by preserving the natural tooth and ensuring proper bite and function.
- Infection prevention: If untreated, a damaged or infected pulp can spread to other parts of the mouth, causing more serious dental problems.
- Improved oral health: Root canal treatment can help to maintain good oral health and prevent future dental problems by preserving the damaged tooth and avoiding the need for extraction.
Get Root Canal Therapy Near You
Overall, root canal therapy is a safe and effective method of preserving a damaged or infected tooth and avoiding extraction. If you have symptoms of a damaged or infected tooth and looking for root canal treatment in Billerica, MA, consider getting a dental evaluation by contacting us at One Dental Care!