Do you feel a need to stop taking care of your teeth when you get to a certain age? If yes, it is pertinent for you to know that you need to maintain good oral health at all times and this is where preventive dentistry comes to play.
Preventive dentistry helps to make sure that dentition is in perfect or close to perfect condition. Preventive dentistry helps you to maintain good oral health but everyone – physician and patient – has their role to play in the success of preventive dentistry. As an individual, you have to visit a dentist near you for periodic dental checkups. This will allow the dentist to warn you if there are is any danger that can pose a threat to your oral health. Outside the dentist’s office, you also need to keep a good dental habit to make to protect your teeth and gums. Brushing and flossing are two fundamental habits that you must observe if you are going to neglect other good dental habits.
Preventive dentistry in Billerica and other places mainly involves three processes. First, the dentist examines your teeth and check for irregularities. After this, the dentist cleans your teeth with special cleaning tools. Sometimes, there is usually the need to do an X-ray to further study the teeth and if the need arises, the dentist will place you under an X-ray machine. It is as simple as it sounds and the good thing about preventive dentistry is that sometimes, you do not need to pay for preventive dentistry if you have health insurance. Certain dental plans fully cover preventive dentistry. The earlier you start taking care of your teeth, the healthier your teeth will be throughout your life. This should not discourage you if you have not been taking preventive measures to protect your teeth. Visit a dentist in Billerica or any qualified dentist close to your location and begin to observe good oral habits to ensure that your teeth are in great condition.
After being established that preventive dentistry is a two-sided thing, we know that dentists know their job and need not be told what and what not to do. However, it would do you a lot of good to know how to play your part in preventive dentistry. You can do yourself a lot of good by avoiding gum diseases, dental cavities, and other dental-related issues when you know what to do and you do them. Here are some of the good dental habits that you need to practice.
1. Brush at least twice daily: Usually in the morning before eating and at night before retiring to bed, make sure that you brush your mouth with a soft brush and a toothpaste that contains fluoride. A dentist in Billerica will guide you on how to brush your mouth if your brushing is not effective.
2. Floss: Flossing has to do with removing food and other particles that are stuck in between the teeth before it decays and causes problems for the teeth. Floss regularly during the day to keep your teeth safe.
3. What your intake: You need to be mindful of the things that you eat. Eat healthy food and vegetables. Drink nutritious drinks. Avoid junk and other sweet or sugary food. Reduce the way you eat hard foods because they tend to break or chip the teeth. Do not put objects in your mouth (most objects contain acids and these acids can damage your teeth.
4. Use a mouthguard: If you are a sports person, especially if it is a contact sport, there is a high possibility that you might fall off or come in contact with somebody with force. This can cause one tooth or more to break or begin to shake.
5. Stay away from tobacco: Smokers are not only liable to die young if they keep smoking. Before death, smoking tobacco can also lead to dental problems.
Preventistry dentistry can be performed by a general dentist or a pediatric dentist. It helps to prevent you from tooth problems and helps you maintain good oral hygiene. It also allows your dentist to observe and tackle tooth problems before they get out of hand. If you think it is a waste of money, remember that some dental plans cover the total cost of preventive dentistry.
Call us now to book an appointment with our dentist near you and learn more about preventive dentistry. We also welcome patients from Nutting Lake, Pinehurst, Billerica, Brookdale Circle, Daniel Finn Circle, Aynsley Circle, Surrey Lane, Wildbrook Road, and surrounding areas.